Welcome to the first author Q&A! Our first author is Deirdre Simmons-Corbett, whom I met by chance through one of my other jobs. Of the 20 questions focused on the writing, publishing, and marketing process, Deirdre answered all that applied to her. And other than a grammar fix or two, the words are hers. I hope you find it useful or interesting at the very least!
Read on to get a different perspective on writing, publishing, marketing, and more!
17 Questions with Deirdra Simmons-Corbett
1. What was your first finished book?
Tomorrow’s Another Day
2. How many books did you start or work on before finishing that book?
This is the first novel that I began and completed.
3. What was the biggest challenge you encountered when finishing your first book?
My biggest challenge was time management. Trying to juggle my full time job, family life and meeting deadlines for the book.
4. If you’ve written books since then, was writing them easier/harder? How was the experience different?
I have begun the sequel of Tomorrow’s Another Day which will be entitled Yesterday Is Gone. It is easier this time around as I am mindful not to make the same mistakes I did when writing and publishing my first novel.
5. Have you published your book? If yes, what medium(s) did you publish it in and why?
Yes, the book was self published.
6. Who did your cover art? What was that experience like?
I reached out to an experienced Cover designer. We discussed the book synopsis and what I would like the cover to look like. After a couple rough drafts, he produced the finish product.
7. How are you marketing your book(s)?
Social media, Sphere of influence, Book signings, Book fairs, Book clubs and book soirees.
8. What is your next step?
Completing the sequel.
9. What is your favorite part of writing?
The expression of words with a pen!!
10. What is your biggest struggle with writing?
Staying the same tense – past/present, etc.
11. Do you now or have you ever done writing prompts? Did they help?
I have not.
12. Have you take any writing classes? Which ones? What was your biggest take-away?
I was enrolled in writing classes while in college many years ago.
13. What is your writing background? (Do you have a degree in writing, worked in writing jobs, etc.)
I do not have a writing background. Writing and publishing a novel has been a passion of mine for some time.
14. Have you ever written in a writing circle? What did you think? (Why do you or why don’t you?)
I have not.
15. Who are your favorite authors?
Nathan McCall and Joy Lynn Ross
16. What is the #1 advice you would give to people who want to be writers?
Connect with an editor you trust, share your ideas and he or she will assist in elevating you to the next level until you become a published author!!
17. When and where do you write?
I write in my home office the majority of the time. However, in the middle of the night ideas come to me of which I write down – I keep a pen and pad next to me on my nightstand!!
Well, that’s all for this round. I hope you enjoyed the first author Q&A and that you got some new ideas or felt reassured by what you read.
Thanks to Deirdre for participating and stay tuned for the next author Q&A coming up later in June!